If you are looking for a way to improve your diet with plant-based shakes, then you have probably heard about Proplant. I switched to a vegetarian diet a while back and one of my biggest concerns was whether or not I was going to be able to keep up my protein intake.
Because I play a lot of sports, it is important to me that I keep up with my protein content. While Proplant is great because it is packed with protein, fiber, and numerous other nutrients, it is always helpful to discuss a few alternatives as well. Some people might not like the taste while others might not like the price.
With this in mind, I tried a few other plant-based shakes and came up with a few great alternatives to Proplant. These include Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder, ALOHA Organic Protein Powder, and Sprout Living. There are a few reasons why these options present a fantastic alternative to Proplant.
The Review Methodology: Why These Proplant Alternatives?
Even though there are plenty of alternatives to Proplant, some are better than others. For this list, I looked for specific plant-based shakes that provide a similar nutrient profile to Proplant, making them suitable alternatives. After this, I tried each shake to ensure the taste was acceptable.
While they don’t have to taste amazing, they do have to be palatable enough for me to drink them regularly. Finally, I also looked for shakes that provided great value for the money. In the end, I settled on Manitoba Harvest, ALOHA Organic , and Sprout Living Epic Protein Powder. With this in mind, it is time to take a closer look at exactly why each of these shakes is on this list.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp
There are lots of people who are looking for hemp-based protein; however, the problem with many hemp protein powders is that they do not contain the same fiber content when compared to Proplant. This is where Manitoba Harvest Protein Powder is helpful. This protein powder easily mixes into a delicious smoothie but can also be added to oatmeal, cookies, and other baked goods.
- It has an outstanding flavor that everyone will enjoy
- This protein powder has an impressive nutrition profile
- It is a versatile protein powder that can be added to just about anything
One of the issues with many hemp-based protein powders is that they have added ingredients to help with taste, consistency, or nutrition; however, this is not the case with HempPro Fiber. It is able to provide you with a nutritious protein shake with organic hemp protein powder.
- It does not contain any additives that might detract from its nutrition profile
- It contains 2.5 grams of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids, which is critical for anyone following a vegetarian diet
- In four tablespoons, HempPro Fiber contains 13 grams of protein from plant-based products
- Most of the dietary fiber (13 grams) is insoluble fiber, which is great for the digestive tract
- HempPro fiber tastes fantastic
- While many HempPro varieties taste good, some flavors might taste a bit strange
- HempPro is a bit more expensive than some of the other options on the market
Even though these drawbacks are important, everyone should note that the only ingredients in HempPro are hemp fiber and oregano extract.
The oregano extract is only found in the max protein variety, which features 20 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. The max fiber version features 8 to 13 grams of protein and 9 to 13 grams of fiber. The balanced protein and fiber variety features 15 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber.
According to medical studies, hemp powder is fantastic because it is a great source of phosphorus, iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and a variety of other minerals. Furthermore, medical studies also show that hemp is a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are critical for immune health as well as skin health. For all of these reasons, hemp-based shakes serve as a great alternative to Proplant.
ALOHA Organic Keto-Friendly Protein Powder
One of the issues that many people encounter regarding plant-based protein shakes is that they aren’t sweet enough. A lot of shakes get around the taste by using stevia or erythritol instead. Some people prefer to avoid these sweeteners, which is where ALOHA Protein Powder can be helpful. This product has a blend of numerous ingredients to provide you with everything you need in a plant-based shake.
- This powder uses monk fruit and coconut sugar to deliver its taste
- It is made from a blend of peas, brown rice, pumpkin seeds, and hemp
- It is a strong source of fiber as well
Some of the major benefits include:
- This powder comes in multiple flavors including banana, chocolate, and vanilla
- It packs 18 grams of plant-based protein into a single serving
- ALOHA also contains 3 grams of soluble dietary fiber in the form of acacia fiber
- This protein powder also contains a healthy amount of medium-chain triglycerides in the form of coconut oil
- This keto-friendly protein powder can be added to oatmeal, baked goods, smoothies, and more
- While this protein powder does avoid stevia and erythritol, it does contain sugar
- Some people might find the banana flavor to have a bit of an aftertaste
The ingredients in this protein powder include pea protein, brown rice protein, hemp seed protein, pumpkin seed protein, acacia fiber, coconut sugar, natural vanilla flavor, monk fruit extract, cinnamon, and medium-chain triglycerides from coconut oil.
Monk fruit is now commonly used as a low-calorie sweetener and is a popular alternative to sugar. Medical studies have shown that people who consume low-calorie sweeteners, such as monk fruit, tend to consume less fat, alcohol, and sugar.
Furthermore, monk fruit also contains mogrosides, which have been shown to possess powerful anti-inflammatory properties. According to medical studies, mogroside extracts can play a major role in preventing damage to DNA. Therefore, this can play a role in improving your overall long-term health.
Overall, ALOHA Organic Vanilla Plant-Based Keto-Friendly Protein Powder is a great alternative to Proplant because of its outstanding ingredient profile. It is complete with 12 separate, real ingredients which include amino acids, prebiotics, electrolytes, fiber, iron, and protein. For all of these reasons, this ALOHA protein powder is a great plant-based shake for those looking for an alternative to Proplant.
Sprout Living Protein Powder
Some people might be looking for something that is paleo-friendly yet still provides all of the benefits of Proplant. If this is the case, then Sprout Living Protein Powder might be the answer. This protein powder is gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free. This plant-based protein powder includes a wide variety of ingredients, providing a complex taste that is still packed with protein, fiber, and a wide variety of other helpful nutrients.
- This is a paleo-friendly, plant-based protein powder
- Sprout Living Epic Protein Powder Original Flavor comes in four separate flavors including green kingdom, vanilla lucuma, chocolate maca, and original
- This protein powder is also free from any fillers and gums
Due to the taste and nutrient profile, this is one of the top plant-based protein powders on the market.
- This protein powder is a unique blend of a lot of plant-based proteins, leading to a nice variety
- 2 scoops of this plant-based contain 26 grams of protein
- Each serving boasts five grams of dietary fiber, with the vast majority of it coming from Jerusalem artichoke
- This protein powder has been produced in a cGMP-certified facility
- There are four separate flavors from which to choose
These are just a few of the many benefits that Sprout Living Epic Protein Powder Original Flavor provides. At the same time, there are a few drawbacks as well.
- This powder is a bit thick which could look to some consistency problems for those looking to make a smoothie
- This protein powder is a bit more expensive than some of the other options on the market
Despite these drawbacks, Sprout Living Epic Protein Powder Original Flavor remains one of the most popular plant-based proteins available and serves as a nice alternative to Proplant. The ingredients in Sprout protein powder include:
- Yellow pea protein
- Sunflower seed protein
- Pumpkin seed protein
- Sacha Inchi
- Cranberry Seed
- Jerusalem artichoke
While many people are familiar with many of the vegetables and fruits listed above, some people might not know what Sacha Inchi is. Sacha inchi protein comes from the unique star-shaped sacha inchi seed grown in Peru.
One of the reasons why Sprout costs a bit more is that sacha inchi is relatively expensive due to its limited supply.
Sacha inchi is an outstanding source of an essential amino acid arginine. Arginine plays a major role in the development of nitric oxide, which helps people control their blood pressure.
According to medical studies, nitric oxide triggers arterial expansion, which improves blood flow throughout your body and lowers your blood pressure.
In addition, sacha inchi is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. According to multiple medical studies, omega-3 fatty acids are outstanding for heart health. Clearly, sacha inchi is a key ingredient in Sprout protein powder. When combined with the other natural ingredients on the list, it is obvious that Sprout provides a nice mix of healthy plant-based proteins.
Frequently Asked Questions About Plant-Based Protein Supplements
There are several common questions that people have when it comes to plant-based protein powders. A few of the most common questions that people ask include:
How Does the Type of Protein Play a Role in my Selection?
There are lots of common plants that people use to make protein powders. Some of the most common options include hemp, peas, and brown rice. Some people might have dietary restrictions that could limit their options. Other people might be looking for something that agrees better with their digestive tract. Many people decide to rotate their plant-based proteins to see which one works best for them.
What Are Fillers and Why Do They Matter?
When people are looking at protein powder, it is critical to see what else is included in addition to protein. Some fillers are used to alter the taste of the powder while others are added to provide more calories. Everyone needs to note anything in the protein powder that isn’t plant-based and ask why it is present.
How Do Plant-Based Proteins Improve Their Flavor?
Of course, the taste is also going to play a major role in someone’s selection. Some people like a neutral flavor while others might be looking for chocolate or vanilla tastes. Sometimes, protein powders use additives or artificial flavors to create taste. It is important for everyone to read the ingredient list and know where the flavor is coming from. Natural is always better.
These are just a few of the common questions that people commonly ask when they are looking for plant-based protein powders. It is important for everyone to think about the benefits and drawbacks of all plant-based protein powders before making a decision.