If you’re at the point where you want to take a supplement to help you lose weight, you’ve likely come across Plexus Slim. That price tag though? Ouch!
Or if you’ve been using it, and found it works for you, but just can’t keep breaking the bank, I totally get you.
Losing weight is hard enough without worries about money too.
Especially if this is going to be your first time trying a product, and it might not work for you or doesn’t work with your system.
I once tried CLA capsules. It’s a type of fatty acid that may help boost your metabolism and fat burn. After puking for the third morning in a row, I realized what the issue was.
The regret after buying a whole 2-pack of these capsules was real. Both over the money spent and my digestive pyrotechnics.
So here are the six best Plexus Slim alternatives.
How I Chose The Alternatives
For those who want something with the same ingredients, I first went about making sure what’s in Plexus Slim, and scientifically how well they work.
You can see this in the next section.
I then also looked up alternative ingredients that work the same if not better and don’t pose health risks. Then I looked up products that contain these ingredients.
I read reviews on them to see if what customers said about the efficacy, flavor, etc.
And lastly, of course, I looked for quality products that are at a better price too since that is the main issue with Plexus Slim.
Just bear in mind, that weight loss supplements support your own efforts. Their job is to help you lose weight a little faster than you would just eating healthily and exercising.
If you stick to unhealthy habits such as overeating or eating high-calorie foods without exercising, you still won’t see results.
What’s in Plexus Slim?
If you want something with the same ingredients, this is an important question.
The ingredients in both types of Plexus Slim are the same aside from the two ingredients that give them their different purpose.
The main active ingredients are:
A mineral naturally found in the food we eat, chromium has been added to some weight loss supplements because it’s shown some small effects on weight loss.
This 2019 meta-analysis showed that chromium supplementation results in around 1.6lb weight loss. The best results were achieved over 12 weeks at 400mcg.
So the effect is rather small.
Green Coffee Bean Extract
Green coffee bean extract contains chlorogenic acid. This is the ingredient, along with some caffeine, that results in weight loss.
A regular cup of coffee also contains chlorogenic acid, but not very much. When normal coffee is enriched with chlorogenic acid, better weight loss results were seen.
A 2010 meta-analysis and review of all the available literature found that on average, of around five pounds. The review does warn of bias, however, but it does still have a helpful effect.
A 2020 review of various clinical trials showed that it may also help to improve blood sugar levels and keep cholesterol levels under control.
This fruit has been a popular weight loss aid for over a decade and is chosen by many because it’s natural.
The ingredient responsible for its effects on body composition is hydroxycitric acid (HCA).
While it does have a small effect on weight loss, bear in mind that I said small.
As per this 2011 review of various studies, it was evident that over the course of several weeks, it only resulted in just under two pounds of weight loss. Still, it’s better than nothing.
Another type of fatty acid, alpha-lipoic acid supplementation causes a small reduction in weight as per this 2017 meta-analysis.
Compared to placebo groups, study participants generally lost around 2.7lb.
White Mulberry Extract
While there aren’t any comprehensive reviews of all the studies done, white mulberry extract appears to be the most effective ingredient on the list at face value.
This 2014 study showed that at a calorie restriction of 1300 and 2400mg of white mulberry extract resulted in a loss of almost 20lb over three months.
The placebo group, eating the same number of calories, only lost around 7lb in three months.
White mulberry extract also benefits blood sugar and insulin levels.
Xylooligosaccharides (Microbiome Activate)
Xylooligosaccharides are components of a type of sugar called xylose. But not to worry, it doesn’t raise your blood sugar levels. It even improves your cholesterol levels.
Xylooligosaccharides promote balance in the gut microbiome which improves not just gut health, but overall health.
Polydextrose (Hunger Control)
Polydextrose is an oligosaccharide, and as you may have guessed, a type of sugar. Not only does it work as a prebiotic, but it reduces appetite too.
Plexus Slim Alternatives
1. NusaPure White Mulberry Extract
These capsules provide you with the equivalent of 2500mg of white mulberry leaf extract.
There are 200 capsules per bottle. From the studies, this suggests that you only need one per day.
So for 200 days, you’ll have white mulberry leaf extract daily. At a much more affordable price, it makes this supplement a bargain compared to Plexus Slim.
NusaPure is free from GMOs and is GMP certified (Good Manufacturing Practice). It’s also gluten-free.
There are a few fillers, rice powder, and magnesium stearate.
The magnesium stearate is something I wouldn’t generally recommend. In small doses as what would be in these capsules, it’s not going to cause harm.
But once you’ve achieved the results you want I recommend you stop taking these capsules.
The capsules are made from cellulose, so they are vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
Most people found that it lowered their blood sugar levels. It’s a popular supplement among those who are prediabetic and diabetic.
Many people also found it easier to maintain and lose weight on these capsules.
The main complaints were that the product didn’t work for them, with a few about digestive issues. These complaints were in the minority, however.
- Each capsule provides 2500mg of white mulberry leaf extract
- Free from GMOs and gluten
- NusaPure is GMP certified
- Most people were happy with the results (blood sugar levels, weight loss, weight maintenance)
- Easy to swallow
- There are 200 servings per bottle
- Vegetarian capsules
- Contains magnesium stearate
- Some people said it didn’t work for them
- A few people had bad digestive reactions
2. Bulkupplements.com White Mulberry Leaf Extract Powder
If you don’t like capsules or prefer a 100% pure product, Bulk Supplements provides white mulberry leaf extract powder.
It’s highly concentrated and there are no other ingredients. The recommended serving size is 1/3 teaspoon which provides 1000mg.
At this serving size, you get 100 servings 100g bag or 1000 servings per 1kg bag. You also get a 1.1lb bag and an 8.81 oz bag.
If you feel that you want to double the dose or at least make it higher, that’s pretty easy to do.
You can mix the powder into water, tea, juice, smoothies, etc. It’s recommended to take it 30 minutes before a meal and that you drink a lot of water.
It has a slightly sweet taste and should mix well with things you enjoy sweeter.
As with all Bulk Supplements products, this white mulberry leaf extract is third-party lab tested for quality and purity.
They are also cGMP certified (current good manufacturing process).
While there aren’t too many comments about weight loss, most people are happy with the results for keeping their blood sugar in check.
The complaints were mostly about the taste and it not having the desired effects. There are very few bad reviews.
There was one customer who said she got headaches, but by taking 3 servings per day, she had taken more than the people in the studies. This may be why.
- Pure mulberry leaf extract powder
- Mixes well with a range of beverages
- Has a slightly sweet taste
- 100 servings in the 100g bag
- Choose from a 100g bag, 8.81 oz bag, 1kg bag, or 1.1-pound bag
- Not everyone enjoys the taste
- Some people did not lose weight
Leanbean has been said to be one of the best weight loss supplements for women by many.
It contains three ingredients that are in Plexus Slim, chromium, green coffee, and garcinia cambogia.
It also contains the following:
- Glucomannan: A natural dietary fiber extracted from the roots of elephant yam/konjac, it helps reduce weight by keeping you fuller for longer and reducing the absorption of fat.
- Turmeric: This golden spice has actually been shown to be an effective weight loss supplement for people struggling with metabolic syndrome. It lowers inflammation too.
- Piperine: The compound in black pepper that increases the absorption of turmeric. More studies involving humans are needed to determine if it works for weight loss.
- Zinc, Vitamins B6 & B12: Zinc is a co-factor for enzymes that run the metabolism. B vitamins are necessary to break-down carbohydrates and fat.
- Choline: Helps to metabolize fat.
- Acai Berries: These berries improve cholesterol, insulin, and blood sugar levels and reduce oxidative stress due to free radicals, which may help with weight loss.
- Chloride: While this may sound scary, it’s actually an electrolyte that helps to keep you hydrated and aid healthy digestion.
Leanbean isn’t available in retail stores or on Amazon, you need to go through the website. There you may find deals that make it more affordable than Plexus Slim.
Even just the one-month supply is cheaper by around $20-$30.
While there are testimonials on the website, here is another review you can check out.
- Natural ingredients
- Easy to take
- Includes a few vital nutrients
- Made for women
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly
- It may still be a bit pricey
- You need to take the capsules four times a day
4. Burn XT
Burn XT contains natural ingredients that have been shown to increase weight loss. Including peperine, it also contains:
- Capsimax: Capsaicinoids derived from cayenne pepper shown to have a moderate effect on weight loss at doses of 4g and smaller effects at lower doses.
- Green Tea Leaf Extract: The catechins (antioxidants) in green tea may help with weight loss. This is especially true when exercising too.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: This is the dehydrated form of caffeine. Quite a few studies have shown that caffeine has a beneficial effect on weight loss.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine: An amino acid, L-carnitine may improve weight loss, but only in overweight and obese people according to studies.
Most people who used this product in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise found that it sped up their weight loss without any issues.
Some people complained of jitters and digestive issues, even though they were not sensitive to caffeine. The digestive issues could be due to the Capsimax.
People also said they couldn’t sleep if taken too late in the day.
The intake limit for caffeine is at 400mg which is below the full two capsule dose content at 270mg.
I would advise to spread out the capsules, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.
Jacked Factory, the manufacturer, recommends starting only with one capsule a day for a week to make sure you can tolerate the caffeine.
If you are unsure or prefer a stimulant-free supplement, check out Lean XT.
A month’s supply is roughly a third of the price of Plexus Slim.
- 100% natural
- cGMP certified
- No fillers
- Vegetarian friendly
- Some people experience caffeine sensitivity and digestive issues
- Not suitable for drinking at night or late afternoon
5. Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite Powder
If you prefer a powder to make a shake, consider Hydroxycut Elite.
Just a note, yes, a few years a go the FDA recalled Hydroxycut, but all harmful ingredients have since been removed. Now the ingredients are all-natural.
You can use it as a pre-workout shake or as a weight loss supplement 30-60 minutes before a meal. Just don’t take it at night.
Including L-carnitine, green coffee, and caffeine anhydrous, it also contains:
- L-Theanine: This amino acid found in green and black tea may assist with weight loss, though more studies need to confirm this. It also helps with stress and anxiety.
- Yohimbe: The herb is more widely known to benefit men, and not for weight loss. Results are mixed for weight loss, some studies show improved weight loss and others not.
Most people are happy with their results. A lot of them recommend to exercise within 15 minutes to a half an hour of consumption as it gives a big increase in energy.
Some people had digestive issues and had the usual caffeine sensitivity symptoms. Not everyone enjoys the taste.
It contains sucralose, an artificial sweetener which I would generally not recommend.
At one scoop a day, the jar will last a month and it’s very affordable. At two scoops, the absolute limit you can take, it will last half a month.
With this supplement, it’s best to check with your doctor before taking it since some of the ingredients can interfere with medication and certain health conditions. Not for under 18’s.
Again, no more than two scoops a day.
- Mix it with water
- Acts as a pre-workout supplement too
- Provides a lot of energy
- This product doesn’t work for everyone
- Some ingredients may interfere with medication and health conditions
- Some people experienced caffeine sensitivity and digestive issues
- Not everyone enjoys the taste
- It contains sucralose
If you want a slimming supplement and probiotic in one, Probioslim might be what you’re after. It also has 11 vitamins and minerals. The minerals act as electrolytes.
The vitamins include B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, and C.
In terms of the weight loss blend, it has green tea extract along with:
- Kiwi Extract: Golden kiwi fruit extract may help with fat loss, improve blood pressure levels, and reduce inflammation.
- Fig Extract: Figs, both fresh and dry are very high in antioxidants.
- Papaya Extract: Carica papaya may have weight loss effects and improve the health of those with metabolic syndrome.
- Probiotics: Bacillus coagulans have been shown to improve digestive health, and people with irritable bowel syndrome may find it helpful.
All in all, this product is geared towards better digestive health along with weight loss. The fruit extracts are also prebiotic, which means the good bacteria feed on them.
It’s also cGMP certified.
Not everyone experienced weight loss, and those who did say that the results were minimal. You do need to exercise and eat healthily in conjunction with these capsules.
What people noticed most was that these capsules helped to reduce their bloating and helped them to be more regular. A few customers enjoyed the extra energy it gave them.
Some people had some digestive issues and some experienced jitters and sleeplessness from the caffeine.
The caffeine content is only 100mg, about what you get in a cup of coffee. But if you are sensitive to caffeine, avoid this product.
It does contain fillers like magnesium stearate and the capsules are made of gelatin, so not vegetarian friendly.
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Contains 11 vitamins and minerals
- The electrolytes may help with hydration
- 60 servings per bottle
- Not for those with caffeine sensitivity
- Some people experienced digestive issues
- The weight loss effects appear to be small